Thursday, October 4, 2007

Anti-piracy in the classroom?

When I was a young lad, (Grades K-5.), I was learning about animals, the environment, arithmetic, reading, Social Studies, and I even remember a class called Counseling. All important things to make me a functioning person in society, (Even though my counselor was convinced I was going to end up in prison when I was only in Second grade!), yet, the idea of kids as young as 5 or 6 learning about Intellectual property seems like a waste of tax dollars to me.

The Entertainment Software Association is a company that is all about protecting the rights of Intellectual property. For the sake of time, and effort, if you want to know more about the company, just go to their website here.

The ESA has decided that because they can't teach my generation about Copyrights, they are going to start getting them while they are young. As in K through 5. They have an entire website for the curriculum.

I have a couple problems with this. First being that it isn't shown in a light as to why it's a problem, and nextly, it seems to me that it is presented as a "This is the way it is, accept it."
No only that, but I don't think it should be put into a class room. I understand that today, technology is integrated with everything, whether it be school, or a brand new car, but the fact of the matter is, is they have proxies and firewalls and blocks at schools to prevent kids to getting to things they shouldn't be. So if a school is concerned with Copyrights, then block sites like Youtube, and MetaCafe and the like. Hell, don't even give the tots internet access if you are worried about it, because I'm telling you, there is always that part of every generation, who rebels and does what society considers wrong. Have you looked at how crowded the Prison system is today?

My point being is, this sort of thing doesn't belong in the classroom. There are better things to be teaching our future generations then why you shouldn't copy a movie or a video game, because no matter what, it will be inevitable that some percentile of people will be breaking those rules.

1 comment:

A Girl Named Cody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.