Saturday, October 6, 2007

Oh Halo 3, how I love thee, let me count the ways...

So, I just did a pretty solid Halo 3 Marathon. I got to say, it was fuckin' awesome. So basically, I came home, watched some TV with my girlfriend, then around 1AM, I started playing. I didn't stop, until about 8AM the next day, (After an argument with the significant other...), and slept until about 2:30PM, and got up, played some more, until the Girlfriend came home, then I consumed some food, watched some TV, then played some more.

My Roommate thinks I'm nuts, considering he got up for work, and I was still playing, and when he got home from work, I was still playing. I stopped about an hour ago, my eyes aren't to happy with me right now. I guess that happens after concentrating on a television for several hours at a time. If I could use this LCD on my computer as opposed to my piece'o'shit TV I would probably be writing in between games right now. Ha ha...

Either way, I figured I would share with you people why I can do this.

Campaign was fun, with added elements, and new Easter eggs, there is plenty to keep me busy with out any kind of Network connection, but considering I was a huge Halo2 nut when it came to XBL, I couldn't resist plugging in as soon as I beat Campaign on Normal.

The new interface is nice. Choose the type of matches is easy, and the fact that there are more options for Guest players, (Like if you have a friend who doesn't have an X-Box Live Tag.), you can play pretty much any ranked game in an un-ranked fashion.

For of those of you who are unfamilar with Halo 2/3 on XBL, I'm not going to bother giving you all the Matchmade game types. If you really want to know, check it out for yourself. If you know me personally, and I like you, I'm sure I wouldn't mind takin' you online with my own account to show you the ropes...

You have your Un-ranked list, which consists of things like Social Slayer, Social Skirmish, and things of the sort. The options you have now to play online with a friend next to you is so much better now, you have more of a variety.

Then you have the Ranked games, such as Team Slayer, or Lone Wolves. They have all the regular ranked stuff, just in a separate list. These are the games that get you a reputation in Halo 2, but in Halo 3, I've found that I myself have ran into someone with a much higher rank than myself, and I was able to walk all over them.

The ranking system is good in that I believe it is starting to work now that Halo 3 has been on Live for awhile, but it seemed very off when everyone started at the bottom. Not only do you have a rank, but you have a Skill number too, (mine is about 12 or 13 right now), and to be honest, I don't know how the games are sorted, by skill, or by rank. I'm assuming skill, considering that would make the most sense. Either way, it seems to be a good idea... For now...

The maps on this game are simply gorgeous. The water is amazing! I'm totally impressed, although I got over it quickly after I had a sniper bullet ricochet off my helmet. I've only seen about 5 maps on XBL being repeated over and over again, although, I really only play Slayer most of the time, so I would really like to see more Maps. They all seem pretty big. Guardian and Narrows seem to be the small ones for the most part, but they never had the kind of atmosphere that maps like Lockout or Foundation, or even Warlock had from Halo 2. I wish I could see a little more of that in Halo 3. Just more Chaos. So as of now, I do love the maps, I just feel there are just too few. (Can't wait for the first Map pack!!!)

Next, the online experience is just fun. I love being able to interact with real people virtually. Given, if you play on Live often, you will run into morons, or stupid loudmouth kids, but when you run into people that make a decent team slayer team, you make friends, and your experience is better 10 fold. In the last 24 hours I've probably added a good 5 or 6 people onto my list to play with in the future. With their help, my Skill Level was at 8, and now is at 12 or 13. On top of that, when playing Ranked, my Rank is now a Grade 2 Sargent!

I recommend before hopping online and trying to play, actually play through the game. It's an awesome FPS, and if you haven't played the first one, WTF is wrong with you? No but seriously, if you haven't play Halo: Combat Evolved, or Halo 2, then the Campaign isn't going to make any sense to you at all. If you just want to have the skillz well, I still recommend beating the game on Solo, and then hopping online, because it will help some, but there is a huge difference when you play artificial intelligence and actual intelligence.

So between the added features, like new weapons, new customizations, speaking of those, I can SAVE entire games, or take Video clips from games and share them with people on XBL through Halo 3. I'm a little disappointed I can't pull it off of Bnet, and have it on my PC, but meh, I'm sure if they did that, the game wouldn't have released when it did. Although, I wouldn't doubt if it gets brought up, and made possible. It's pretty sweet though, on my Halo service Record, if you look under my file share, I have two short clips, one is me almost taking out an entire team of 5 on Last Resort, and the other is a kick as double kill on Snowbound. Totally sweet. If you want to check them out, you need a Gamer Tag for XBL, and my Gamer Tag which is Th4t 0n3 6uy. (The "0" in "0n3" is indeed a zero, not an ohh. ) If you don't have a tag, and want to check out my stats on Halo 3, go to Bungie.net and go to my stats, and on the drop-down menu click on Find a Player, on the right side of that screen type in my Gamer Tag Th4t 0n3 6uy, and you can check out all of the games I've every played on Halo 3, what place I came in, the game type, the map, everything. It's cool. You even get a snapshot of what my character looks like.

If you have any questions about the game, let me know, I'm still in a learning process, but feel free to ask me! I love this game.

3 comments:

A Girl Named Cody said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A Girl Named Cody said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MeowMix said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.