Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Working in the IT Department

So, I've been working in a "Help Desk" IT department for about 6 months now. It's been a good job. I'm going to school, and currently studying for my CCNA. Which is perfect with this job because I'm getting experience in the process. Basically, this job is perfect for me, and I'm loving every minute of it. Well, I haven't loved every minute of being at my job per say, but the job itself is awesome.

//note
If you want to view the full size image you may do so by clicking on it.
//note


When I say, "I haven't loved every minute of being at my job per say..." I mean for about 2 and a half months I worked with a dingbat, dumbass, stupid-fuck, annoying, cocksuckin', motherfuckin', douche-bag. Or Danager. (Potato-head if you prefer that!). This guy annoyed everybody. I'm not just saying me, I mean the whole damn building. People wanted him to go away. It didn't matter if it was management or just some worker, they didn't like him from the start. (He was lazy too!) Although I worked with an idiot, this blog is not about him.

This blog is about the wonders of working on Night-shift crew of two, in an environment that is incredibly laid back, and when we aren't getting calls to change a toner for somebody, we have an inordinate amount of free-time.

With this free time, and with enough boredom, we start getting creative...

There was a time when I was mostly by myself, and the crimes were committed could only be enjoyed mostly by myself. Which is still gratifying, but not quite as much as having someone else to enjoy those memories with. Such as tying your Day-shift co-workers chair to his desk, or changing the source destination to the shortcut for Firefox on your supervisors computer so that every time he clicks on the shortcut it shuts down his PC instantly. Yeah, I did it. Luckily my Supervisor is the coolest guy every, along with my other co-workers.

One of my favorite pranks was re-arranging the keys on my co-workers keyboard. Here was the result.







Yeah, type-o, I know, but I don't care, the prank was priceless.

Now, here are a few images of other pranks by my co-conspirator and I.







The above image is of my Supervisor's cube. We filled it with boxes and styrofoam and lined the walls with bubble wrap. It was good, but not good enough, so we wrote the following note to go along with it.







In case you can't read the above sign we made it says:

"Brain Lee we (Heart) you!!!

We have chosen to express our love for you through the placement of bubble-wrap, styrofoam and cardboard.

Who are you to say that's wrong!"

Now the next picture, well this prank, it kind of just fell into how it is. It started out just with the face drawn onto the styrofoam, and was set into our Supervisor cube. Not amazing, nothing to brag about, but then I had made the comment that it looks like another co-worker, and the ideas just sparked. Originally, we were just going to draw everything on the foam. I decided to be more creative and make a hat. Then we made an talk-bubble, and added some comments. With the hat and the talk-bubble, it really made it clear who it represented, and made for a good laugh in the whole department. The best part is, is that this co-worker has left it and it's still there. It's been there for about a week now...







It says:

*grumble, grumble, grumble*
...Dennis...
*grumble, grumble, grumble*
...Nightshift...

Well, I would like to inform all of you that yes, we do spend some time screwing off, but that is mostly time that we are aloud to do these things. When work needs to be done, we get it done, no questions asked, but like I said, we get an inordinate amount of free time. Although, when we aren't pranking, or playing jokes, we find neat little projects for ourselves.

This would be one of them.



Isn't it great. We used a 9 volt battery, two paper clips, some scotch tape, and a piece of wire from a CAT-5e cable. On top of that, we had a bad hard-drive, so I took it apart, and used the magnet inside of it, and there you have it. A working motor.

I just want to say, my job kicks ass.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Yeah, we basically rock.