Sunday, November 18, 2007

Girl Gamers: What's the fuss all about?

--Let me start off by stating that this isn't so much a defense for girl gamers, but sympathy for the crap Female gamers go through because, well, they are female, and gaming is looked at as a "boy activity." I would also like to say in no way does any female gamer need my defense for their hobby, and I just want to point out and state a few personal opinions I have about the whole thing.--

So as of late, I'll catch random posts about Girl Gamers on the internetz. Whether it's on Digg, GamePolitics, or sites of the like, it always seems to be something ridiculous. When I say ridiculous, I mean people of the male gender are really retarded sometimes...

I've gamed with girls. Halo 2, Halo 3, World of Warcraft, Bejewled, Oblivion, Mortal Kombat, all sorts of games. Hell, my lovely significant other is a gamer that plays WoW and could own most peoples faces off. (And it makes me hot...). Some are better than me, some are worse then me, some are just as good. Which tells me... Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

So where am I going with this? When I read blogs about the shit Females have to listen too when they are online, it makes me shake my head and ask "Why?"

Here's a question for you: What does it matter if you're playing a game with a female? Are you really so compelled to say things like, "You must be a fat and ugly since you play video games." Or "Girls belong in the kitchen. Go make me a sandwich." It makes me embarrassed to be male sometimes... I played with a female on Halo 2 for a long time. She used to own people too. I am comfortable saying she was better than me, and every time we were in the lobby after a game of Team Slayer, people always had to talk shit to her because she was, well, a she.

Personally, I don't care what gender you are. I just want to play, I want to win, and most importantly, I want a good team that I can have fun with. If you're female and you suck, how is that any different than if you are male and suck? It isn't. Get over it.

I find it sad, and I would apologize, but it would be pointless.

For all you Female gamers out there, I just say ignore the chauvinism, and Game on.

So tell me folks, what is your take on Female Gamers? Why do you think they get so much guff? Do you think it's intimidating to play against a female better than yourself?

No comments: