Sunday, December 2, 2007

Playing Video Games with your Significant other.

Playing video games is a fun hobby. Gaming has many benefits, including hand-eye-coordination, concentration, and I'm sure there is more, but do these things matter if you're just having a good time? I suppose it matters when Gaming conflicts with other things like, work, school, or more specifically, your significant other.

Maybe your significant other is a casual gamer, and prefers games like Bejeweled, or other various puzzle games, or maybe they are game specific, or they just down-right don't game at all. Gaming can take up a lot of time, and that can make your significant other very unhappy.

So let me start out by stating, that I am a Gamer, and my Significant other is a Gamer. Which in its own right has benefits, but there is a problem with this. I play all games. Console games, Play Station, X-Box, whatever, as well as PC games. She plays WoW. Occasionally she might play some Mortal Kombat, or Bejeweled, but for the most part, she just plays WoW. Now don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with that, but I do play Halo 3 quite a bit, and she hates Halo 3. She hates Halo 3 so much she refers to Halo 3 as "The Dirty Mistress." I love the Halo series. I think it's awesome. It would be safe to say that the Halo franchise is my favorite, considering the hours I spend on X-Box LIVE playing Halo 3, and before it, Halo 2.

Now obviously, I don't spend all of my Free time playing Halo 3, (Considering I'm also playing Oblivion, BioShock, and Guitar Hero 2. That's right, Guitar Hero 2...), I do have to put time into my job, school, family, friends, and most importantly my girlfriend, yet I find that I don't feel like I'm putting as much time into all those things, so when possible, I try to kill two birds with one stone. Not literally, I'm saying I try to spend time with my girlfriend and play video games. It's not as easy as it sounds.

I can't make my girlfriend play Halo 3. I can't make my girlfriend even like Halo 3. Like I said, she calls it The Dirty Mistress. I have attempted to get her to play WITH me. That didn't work out either. She just doesn't like it, yet she still gets mad when I decided to play it, instead of opting for bed. (I'm a night person, and I get off at 11:30PM at the earliest from my job...)

Here is what I've done to try to make things easier:
1. I have given her specific evenings
2. I spend time with her when I get home, then after she goes to bed and I tuck her in and I play my games.
3. When she is playing WoW, I play one of my games.
4. Offer her a spot to play with me.


Considering we have totally different tastes, schedules, and ideas, it's hard on finding an appropriate time. So I've pretty much made the decision that when I get home from work, I'll play for a few hours and go to bed. I hate making a regiment to follow, but I don't have much choice in order to please my better half, my friends, my family, and myself. What's a guy to do? I just want to play my games.

3 comments:

A Girl Named Cody said...

Of course I don't like Halo. But it does seem like it's stealing you from me sometimes. But I do also understand that you like Halo and like playing it. Last night i went to bed b/c you were acting rather annoying (not towards me) so i went to bed so i didn't have to hear it. I like to hang out with you and play wow while you play halo, i just don't like your constant commentary is all.
I love you very much, and i want you to do what you want. You don't have to follow a regiment of playing for a few hours and coming to bed. I just like it more when we do get to sleep together :D

Anonymous said...

help me find my ds

Anonymous said...

its red and black its a ds lite